Light, Crisp Dry White
Perfect as an aperitif or with lighter dishes, salads and grilled fish.
1. Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine, Sur Lie, Domaine Fief de la Brie, France 2018 12% £26.90
Delicate citrus fruit, saline minerals, gentle underlying toasty notes. The wine is aged on its lees, or sediment, for six months to impart more body to the wine. The grapes come from François Bonhomme’s finest vineyard.
2. Amanti del Vino, Pinot Grigio, Terre Siciliane, Italy 2018 12% £19.95
Pinot Grigio from northern Italy is the dry white wine of the moment! This one, from near Venice, is crisp, refreshing and unoaked, making it perfect for drinking. Dry & full.
3. Basa Blanco, Rueda, Telmo Rodríguez, Spain 2016 13% £27.50
Wonderful fruity and juicy wine with mouthfilling flavours of peaches and plums made by dynamic winemaker Telmo Rodriguez.
Medium-Bodied, Fruity Dry White
Best with meatier fish such as salmon, halibut, especially with sauces, and also chicken and turkey.
4. Tanners Sauvignon, Pays d’Oc, France 2018 12% £26.00
A superb, fresh, grassy Sauvignon with good fruit and crisp acidity which bears testament to the dramatic improvements in modern French winemaking, and in particular the famous Lurton Frères who now make wine worldwide.
5. Fiano, Puglia, Carlomagno, Italy 2017 12.5% £27.00
Rich and well balanced with plenty of ripe melon and banana fruit but with hints of grapefruit.
6. Cliff Edge Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand 2018 13% £29.50
Unique flavours of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, vibrant gooseberry and passionfruit aromas, and an excellent balance.
Full Flavoured, Classic Dry White
The ideal match for richer fish dishes and white meat, although they can work with pork and lighter game birds.
7. Picpoul de Pinet, G Bascou, Domaine La Condamine L’Evêque, France 2017 13% £27.50
A fine, elegant style white with attractive floral fruit with good crispness and citrus notes showing good weight of fruit and decent length, perfect for seafood.
8. Touraine Sauvignon Blanc, Les Silex, Trotignon, France 2015/17 12.5% £32.00
This estate is run by husband and wife team Philippe and Véronique Trotignon. This is super, elegant Sauvignon Blanc with lovely weight of gooseberry fruit with a beautiful mineral element on the finish.
Medium Dry, Spicy & Floral White
White wines with complex flavours that are an excellent match with terrines,
smoked fish and spicy dishes, such as light curries and Asian style foods.
9. Grüner Veltliner Weinviertel, Baumgartner, Austria 2017 12.5% £26.50
Terrific dry white with zippy grapefruit character and hints of spice. Dry & crisp.
10. Moselland Riesling Kabinett, Mosel, Germany 2018 7.5% £25.00
Delicate, floral, well-made Kabinett with peach, apple and pear fruit flavours and well balanced, refreshing acidity. This is an excellent value-for-money Riesling from the well-run co-operative at Bernkastel.
Light, Fruity Red
Delicious without food or an excellent lunch time wine,
partnering fish, lighter meat dishes and soft cheese.
11. Côte de Brouilly, Les Volcaniques, Jacques Charlet, France 2017 13% £34.50
From the slopes of the distinctive, round hill of Brouilly comes this fruity Beaujolais. Its aromas of violets, then red fruits and little tannin make for a good glass of wine. Charlet is from a well-respected, family house.
12. Valpolicella, Zeni, Italy 2017 12.5% £30.00
The charming Zeni family, with their cellars and winemaking museum near Lake Garda, makes this delicious, soft, fruity Valpolicella. A short time in oak adds an extra dimension of flavour.
13. Tanners Merlot, Pays d’Oc, France 2018 13% £21.50
A deliciously soft and fruity wine with lots of juicy, plummy flavours. This is nursery slope vino with no hard edges and a very moreish quality that gets you back for another bottle!
14. Tanners Claret, Bordeaux, France 13% £24.00
This has been made even more attractive by the addition of some extra old-vine Merlot to give it a bit more of the succulence and juiciness for which it is renowned, while still retaining its classic balance and style.
Medium Bodied, Juicy Red
Good partners to most red meats and full flavoured fish dishes.
Don’t forget they work excellently with cheese.
15. Rémi & Jérôme Syrah, Pays d’Oc, France 2017 13.5% £23.00
An enticing mineral, berry perfume leads to a delicious, generous, charming palate full of chunky black, herby fruit.
16. Jean Balmont Cabernet Sauvignon, Pays d’Oc, France 2017 13% £21.00
Ripe and blackcurranty Cabernet with good easy going fruit and mellow character.
17. Los Coches Pinot Noir, Valle Central, Chile 2018 12.5% £21.50
Packed full of fresh red fruit character, this is classic New World Pinot from Chile. Good weight, plenty of ripe fruit and length and not at all jammy.
Full er Flavoured Rich & Spicy Red
These wines come into their own when paired with richer red meat dishes and game.
18. Wide River Shiraz, Robertson, South Africa 2018 13.5% £20.80
Easy going, soft red with plenty of spicy, peppery fruit, this has good hedgerow berry flavours and power. Shiraz is proving to be a very popular and successful grape variety in the Cape.
19. Château Musar, Gaston Hochar, Lebanon 2011/12 14% £84.95
This near legendary Lebanese estate was founded by Gaston Hochar in 1930 in a region with a 6,000 year old wine- producing history started by the Phoenicians. Very ripe fruit, with spice and leather.
Whilst they are delicious on their own they can light up certain mild flavoured dishes,
especially Mediterranean style fish and meats.
20. Pato Torrente Rosé, Valle Central, Chile 2018 12.5% £21.00
This is an off-dry, fruity rosé, with plenty of strawberry flavours and lively, refreshing acidity. A good partner for many foods including Chinese and Oriental style dishes.
21. Tanners French Rosé, Côtes de Gascogne, France 2018 12% £24.00
Sourced from the Béraut family at Domaine de Pellehaut in the Gers, this juicy, racy rosé has been a fantastic success since release. Vibrant summer fruits nose and a soft strawberry flavour mean one bottle isn’t enough!
22. Albright Hussey Brut, France 12% £48.00
A good characterful Champagne with fine mousse, full fruity flavour and a toasty finish.
Albright Hussey Selection